This week’s best thing: I have an outline and started writing Earthsinger Chronicles book 4!!
This week’s best thing:
- Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle – https://amzn.to/2FJq7a4
- Story Grid Editor Roundtable podcast on Black Panther – https://storygrid.com/editor-roundtable-black-panther/
- Story by Robert McKee – https://amzn.to/3043Ont
Storytelling with prerequisites, concrete character goals, and the ever elusive ending.
This week’s best thing: Rocketman movie! Go see it! https://tickets.rocketman.movie/ (I hope Taron Edgerton gets an Oscar nom!)
- Beyond the Screenplay podcast – https://www.lessonsfromthescreenplay.com/beyond-the-screenplay/2019/5/3/episode-9-gone-girl-8khy4
- Lessons from a Screenplay Youtube channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErSSa3CaP_GJxmFpdjG9Jw
- Deepening character goals article: https://www.helpingwritersbecomeauthors.com/writing-better-character-goals/#
- 4 types of endings – https://www.how-to-write-a-book-now.com/story-endings.html
- My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due – http://lpen.co/mysoultokeep
Fast drafting, writing rituals, and a mini rant on naming your fantasy months.
“The first draft is just you telling yourself the story.” —Terry Pratchett
This week’s best thing: New York Times’s Tiny Love Stories – https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/04/style/tiny-modern-love-stories-most-beautiful-hands.html
- Author Darynda Jones on her process: https://writersinthestormblog.com/2015/04/right-braining-with-darynda-jones/
- Alphasmart Neo on eBay
- Time Cubes
- Pacemaker – goal tracking for writers: https://www.pacemaker.press
This week’s best thing: New music from Sleater-Kinney! And video directed by Miranda July!
- Me and You and Everyone We Know – film by Miranda July
- No One Belongs Here More Than You – short story collection by Miranda July
- 20th anniversary of The Matrix – There is no spoon.
- Dramatica story theory – http://dramatica.com/
- Plot Outlining with Dramatica: https://www.how-to-write-a-book-now.com/plot-outline.html
- Enneagrams: The Psychology of Creating Characters: http://booklaurie.com/workshops_psych.php
- Guardian article – “Watched plots… Hilary Mantel and the writers under pressure from fans” https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/may/24/watched-plots-hilary-mantel-and-the-writers-under-pressure-from-fans
An overview of my first week plotting book 4 in my fantasy series.
This week’s best thing: Plotting! Perhaps my favorite part of the writing process.
- Michael Hauge character development – This article is what started it all for me in terms of understanding this method for creating inner conflict: http://blog.janicehardy.com/2012/08/the-inner-struggle-guides-for-using.html
- Plot vs. Character by Jeff Gerke – https://amzn.to/2JMZTX0
- Creating Character Arcs by KM Weiland – https://amzn.to/2LVOp6t
- The Negative Trait Thesaurus – with Reverse Character Backstory tool – https://amzn.to/2YJmyIj
- Dan Wells 7 Point Plot Structure – https://hunterswritings.com/2016/09/16/7-point-story-structure-resources/
- Save the Cat Beat Sheet – https://jamigold.com/2012/02/how-to-use-the-save-the-cat-beat-sheet/
- The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin – https://amzn.to/2EuRDrx
Starting a brand new book… no, I’m not scared at all.